Thursday, December 23, 2010

Painted cutting board

My mom got me doing this project when I was a teenager and I love it. I made one a few months ago while staying at mom's. She was nice enough to buy me extra cutting boards that I could do at home and give as gifts. What a great neighbor gift right? Or wedding gift. Or birthday gift! Totally cute and fun.

To start off, I just googled images of fruits and veggies and printed them off. Then you trace the image on the back side of the cutting board with a black permanent marker (The side you cut on should be face down.)

The image will be mirrored from the front/cutting side.

Then use regular old acrylic paint. You may have to do 2 coats with some colors. When it's dry, spray a clear acrylic sealer over the paint to keep it from coming off. I've learned that it takes a couple of hours for it to really set and not scratch off.


Here are all the finished products! The orange and pear are my favorite!!!

4 comments:

Bre And Drew said...

Those are SO cute! That would make a really great and unique gift! Where does your mom get the cutting boards? The orange is my favorite.

alecia said...

Have you always been this talented at EVERYTHING!!!??? Wish I were your neighbor! You should do elements on them next!

alecia said...

Um, my birthday is coming up. I could us a Hydrogen cutting board...or a Ruthenium cutting board...or an Aluminum cutting board...of a Einsteinium cutting board.

lady di said...

Those turned out really cute! I think the orange is my favorite too. I will look for more of those cutting boards when I go to the store.