Monday, January 10, 2011

Iron-on Onesies

My sister-in-law is having a baby this month and as my gift to her, I wanted to do something crafty with onesies. I was going to use my Cricut to cut out some little animals but they were too detailed and I don't think it would have worked very well. So, I decided to iron-on some little ties (it's a boy).

1. I bought 5 pieces of fabric at 1/8 yard each. (Total cost was like $2.50 and I still have tons left over)
2. I printed out a Google image of a tie.
3. Iron fabric to a piece of Heat-n-bond
4. Trace tie image to paper backing.
5. Cut out the shape and iron to onesie.

I also decided to sew around the edges of the tie so that it won't fray or anything when you wash them. Because, ya know, newborn clothes get washed a lot. This was harder than I thought but it was totally worth it. Look how cute!
I'm excited t for Laura to see these and I'm even more excited to see the baby in these!

5 comments:

alecia said...

Nice applique work. I agree, applique is SO hard. That argyle one is too cute!

Janell R. Cropper said...

Next time I have boy, I pay you, you make many happy onesies. ;) I love them! I would never have the ability to do the sewing around the ties.

lady di said...

Those are even cuter than I imagined! What a fun gift! Keep up the good work! What do you have in mind for decorated onesies for a girl? Can't wait to see!

Angie said...

man you do lots of stuff! cute onesies! Launi made some shirts for Ellen and Kaylin using some animals that she cut out with iron on transfer. Such a fun thing.

Bre And Drew said...

what a cute idea! The sewing around the edges makes it.